In our house, Goat Cheese Cheesecake is the first item to be requested for any special celebration dining. Cheesecake is a good dessert option for a low carb eating plan. Dessert is a splurge, but cheesecake is a low glycemic option that keeps you on course. Serve with Margarita Fruit Compote or macerated fresh strawberries and/or mixed berries.
Want to make a smaller version? Cut the recipe ingredients in half and bake in a 7-inch springform pan. Baking time will vary to around 40 – 45 minutes.
- Ginger Snap wafers to make 1 cup crumbs (about 2.5 ounces)
- Graham Crackers to make 1 cup crumbs (about 6 cracker sheets)
- 4 tablespoons melted Butter, plus extra butter for pan
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- 2 (8-ounce) packages Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (12-ounce) log Goat Cheese (chevre), at room temperature
- 12 ounces Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche
- 4 Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar (cane, non-GMO or organic)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the crust: Place ginger snap wafers into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to process into crumbs. Empty into a small bowland measure out 1 cup. Repeat for graham crackers. Store any excess amount in a sealed container in the fridge. Stir crumbs, melted butter, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and about halfway up the sides of the pan. Wrap foil around the bottom of the pan and at least 3 inches up sides. Place the springform pan wrapped with foil into a high-sided baking pan. Heat 6 cups of water to boiling in a kettle on the stove or in a large measuring cup in the microwave.
- To make the filling: Beat the cream cheese and goat cheese in the bowl of an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and beat to combine. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each egg is added, until thoroughly combined. Beat in the sugar and vanilla until just combined.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Put springform pan and baking pan combo in the preheated oven, pour hot water into baking pan until it reaches a depth of about 2 inches. The water will help evenly distribute heat around the cheesecake. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until the cheesecake is firm in the center. If the cheesecake starts to color, tent the springform pan with aluminum foil.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool completely before serving, it will continue to set as it cools. Refrigerate when completely cooled. Cheesecake is best when refrigerated 4 or more hours before serving.