This Hearty Tuscan Soup is loaded with flavor and seasonal-survival immunity boosting ingredients.
We usually start our chicken bone broth with a leftovers from a store-purchased rotisserie chicken. Put the leftover bird in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook for about 20-30 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow all to cool before refrigerating. When you’re ready to use, warm the broth, remove the bird and debone the meat. We’ve found that it’s a great immunity booster for sick pets, too.
Suggested wine pairings follow the recipe.
|Cook Time:||30 min|
|Prep Time:||20 min|
|Total Time:||50 min|
2. While veggies are cooking, drain and rinse one can of cannellini beans, set aside. In a food processor or blender, puree the second can of beans with its’ liquid, set aside. Once veggies are soft, add broth, diced tomatoes with juice, bean puree and drained beans, browned pancetta or bacon, Italian seasoning, miso and bouillon paste and Bay leaves. Stir together and simmer for 20 minutes. (A miso muddler makes easy work of measuring and stirring both miso and chicken bouillon paste. It looks like a small two-ended whisk. One end measures teaspoon and the other measures tablespoon. Check your local Asian market or an online marketplace.)
3. Once soup has simmered to meld flavors, add pasta, green beans, fish sauce, mushroom soy sauce and kale. Add shredded chicken or sausage, as desired. Simmer until pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes. Spoon into bowls and top with shredded cheese. Don't forget to remove the Bay leaves!
* ½ cup chopped Onion
* ½ cup chopped Celery
* ½ cup chopped Carrots
* 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
* 4 cups Chicken Bone Broth
* 1 can (15 oz) diced Tomatoes
* 2 cans Cannellini Beans
* 3 oz Pancetta or Bacon, diced and browned
* 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
* 1 heaping Tbsp Shiro Miso (mild yellow)
* 1 - 2 Tbsp Chicken Bouillon Paste
* 2 Bay Leaves
* 8 oz Ditalini Pasta (or other small pasta)
* 1 can Italian cut Green Beans, drained
* 1 teaspoon Fish Sauce (or to taste)
* 1 Tbsp Mushroom Soy Sauce (or to taste)
* Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
* 12 - 16 oz chopped Kale Greens
* Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese, shredded
* Optional, may use a combination:
* 2 cups cooked and shredded Chicken
* 2 cups diced, cooked Spicy Italian Sausage