Every summer Chef Thierry Burkle of The Grill at Leon Springs in San Antonio, TX, pairs fresh heirloom tomatoes grown in the Texas Hill Country with sweet watermelons and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Summer Tomato & Watermelon Salad celebrates the fruits of summer.
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Servings:||6 – 8|
* 1 ripe seedless Watermelon (small or personal size)
* 2 – 4 high-acid Tomatoes
* 4 -6 fresh Basil leaves
* Feta Cheese, crumbled
* 4 – 6 ounces Balsamic Reduction (see step 1 for recipe)
- To make reduction: In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine 1 cup Balsamic vinegar and 1 cup white sugar. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Continue cooking until mixture reaches a syrup-like consistency (coats the back of a spoon) — about 10 minutes. Let cool. Store in refrigerator. May be prepared days in advance.
- Cut Watermelon into fork-size sections. Cut tomatoes into wedges. Pile on plate.
- Chiffonade basil leaves (roll all leaves together cigar-style and cut crosswise into strips), crumble Feta over salad, then sprinkle with basil.
- Drizzle with Balsamic reduction.