When family members started calling us from the grocery aisles asking for this Pozole Verde Soup recipe, we knew this was a winner. Bone broth brings richness to the soup as well as enhances nutrition with protein, collagen and amino acids. Pozole Verde is traditionally served with crispy tortilla chips, but crusty bread is good, too.
|Cook Time:||30 minutes|
|Prep Time:||30 minutes|
|Servings:||8 – 10|
- 1 pound frozen Pozole Corn OR canned Hominy
- 1 small Onion, roughly chopped
- 4-5 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 cups Chicken or Pork Bone Broth (reserve 1 ½ cups)
- 14 – 16 ounces frozen roasted mild Hatch Green Chiles
- 16 ounces fire roasted Salsa Verde
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons Chicken Bouillon paste
- 1 ½ – 2 tablespoons shiro (mild yellow) Miso (we like MisoMaster brand)
- 4 – 5 ounces Goat Cheese (Chevre), Mexican Crema or Heavy Cream
- Agave syrup
- 4 cups shredded cooked Chicken or Pork OR 1 1/2 to 2 pounds raw Shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 3 – 4 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh herbs of your choice: epazote, cilantro, parsley or fennel fronds
- optional: 6 ounces (about 1 1/3 cup) hulled Pumpkin (pepita) Seeds, toasted
- ½ Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large Avocado, pitted, flesh scooped from skin and chopped
- 6 – 10 Radishes, in matchstick dice
- Chicharron (crispy pork rind), broken into small pieces
- dried Mexican Oregano
- If using pozole (nixtamal) corn, follow instructions on the package for preparation, using bone broth for cooking liquid, then continue with next steps. We use a slow cooker when using pozole corn and then combine the remainder of the ingredients after the corn is cooked.
- In a soup pot (or skillet if using a slow cooker) over medium heat, saute onion and garlic. Combine with pozole corn or hominy and bone broth (minus reserved), Hatch green chiles, salsa verde, chicken bouillon paste and miso. Stir to combine.
- If using pumpkin seeds, while the soup base is cooking, pour the pumpkin seeds into a blender jar, add 1 ½ cups bone broth and puree as smooth as possible. Add the pumpkin seeds, herbs and broth to the soup, stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer 30 minutes. If using shrimp, add in the last 5-7 minutes of cooking. Shrimp is done when they turn pink and curl.
- Finishing the pozole verde: Add goat cheese, crema, or cream, stir to incorporate, taste. Add agave syrup as desired. Stir and taste again. Divide the pozole verde between warm serving bowls. If using cooked chicken or pork, top with meat and garnishes such as red onion, avocado, radish, chicharrón, and/or oregano.