Rich and savory Moroccan Roasted Eggplant & Peppers adds an international accent to charcuterie and cheese boards.
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes + resting|
|Servings:||6 – 8|
- ¾ cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 5 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons Za’atar spice
- 2 tablespoons Moroccan spice
- 3 tablespoons Fig Jam
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium globe Eggplants, about 2 pounds total
- 1 pound red and yellow Bell Peppers
- Put the first eight ingredients in a 9 x 13 baking dish and whisk with a fork to blend. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Preheat broiler. Place peppers on a baking sheet and broil about 2 inches from the heat, turning the peppers every 5 minutes. Total broiling time will be about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the skins are blistered and charred. Cut each pepper in half, remove seeds. Cut each half lengthwise into 4 pieces and set aside.
- Remove the eggplant stem, then cut the eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (about 12 slices). Brush both sides of rounds with the olive oil; place on baking sheet under the broiler. Broil for about 3 – 5 minutes each side, until softened.
- As the eggplant slices are done, transfer them to the baking dish. Turn them to coat generously with the marinade. Add the roasted pepper slices. Spoon marinade over all as needed. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
- When ready to serve, spoon mixture into bowls and serve as an appetizer with crostini and hummus or goat cheese (chevre).