Croissant Crust Quiche is an easy twist on a classic comfort.
While you could use the croissant crust on any quiche recipe, this one is a hearty version that pairs well with wine for a satisfying brunch or dinner! We start with day-old pastries. Note: this recipe makes 2 large quiches.
See our DIY Wine & Dine Menu: Anytime Brunch for additional meal ideas.
Suggested wine pairings follow the recipe.
|Cook Time:||35 min|
|Prep Time:||30 min|
|Total Time:||65 min|
|Method:||Stovetop and Oven|
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Preheat 8-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. (You will use this to toast the croissants before adding filling.) Split croissants in half and line 2 large deep-dish pie pans or 10-inch oven-safe skillets with halves, crust side down. When cast iron skillet is hot, place on top of croissants lining pie pan and let sit 2 - 3 minutes to toast. Repeat as necessary for second pan. Spoon bacon/veggie/cheese mixture evenly over toasted croissants.
3. In a blender, combine eggs, cream and milk and blend on low speed 20 seconds. Add biscuit & pancake mix and nutmeg, blend again 10 to 15 seconds. (Using a blender for the large quantity of eggs and dairy makes quick work of the whipping process. However, if your blender capacity is less than 7 cups, then process in two equal batches.) Carefully pour mixture over crust and filling.
4. Bake on middle rack in oven for 30 to 35 minutes. You will need to cover quiche with foil about halfway through cooking or when outer crust begins to brown. (Be careful when working with foil. It can cause those annoying paper-like cuts.) Instead of tearing strips of foil, use this seamstress trick to quickly mark the center: fold foil in half and make a cut at the center, then unfold, fold in half again in alternate direction, cut perpendicular across previous cut, unfold and peel back from the "X". This will cover the edge, but allow center to continue to brown. Quiche is done when center is firm to the touch.
* 2 Leeks, whites and soft greens, sliced
* 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced and halved
* 3 - 4 cloves Garlic, chopped and crushed
* 10 oz box frozen Spinach, thawed and drained well
* 8 oz Gruyere Cheese, grated
* 12 eggs, room temperature
* 2 cups Heavy (Whipping) Cream, room temperature
* 2 cups Milk, room temperature
* 1/2 cup Biscuit & Pancake Mix
* Pinch of Nutmeg
* Pinch of Salt and Ground White Pepper
* 6- 8 sandwich-size Croissants