Our Blended Beef & Mushroom Tacos offer true Tex-Mex flavor without the guilt
With over 90 years of combined living in San Antonio, we know a few things about authentic Southwest flavors. We also know that a healthy lifestyle means making a few changes. Traditionally, beef picadillo includes diced potatoes as an extender, but incorporating mushrooms adds an earthy flavor, vitamin D and fiber.
This meat filling can be used in tacos, nachos or taco salad. Want to add more plant-based protein? Add 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained, for every 2 pounds of ground beef used.
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Servings (per pound of ground beef):||4 – 6|
(per 1 pound ground Beef)
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion, sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Poblano Pepper (optional), seeded and sliced
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (optional), seeded and membrane removed, sliced
- 2 Mini Sweet Peppers (optional), seeded and sliced
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 6 ounces White Button or Baby Bella Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chile Powder
- 2 – 3 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chicken Bouillon Paste
- ½ cup Water
- 3 ounces Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped Cilantro (ootional), leaves only
- Flour Tortillas or Corn Taco Shells (2 per person), warmed
- Green Leaf or Romaine Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, diced
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- Salsa or Taco Sauce
- Cheddar Cheese or Cotija Cheese
- Heat a 10 – 12 inch sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil to the pan, then the onions, mushrooms and peppers, sauté until onions are golden brown. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 – 2 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the beef to the pan, sauté until meat is browned. Reduce heat, return veggie mixture to the pan, add all the dry seasonings, stir. Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes until the flavors meld and warm through. Stir in the cilantro and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- To assemble: Warm tortillas, top with 2 tablespoons of meat and mushroom mixture. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream or Mexican crema, salsa, sliced avocado or scoop of guacamole and shredded cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese.
Wine Pairing Guide
Want to know more about how to select the best bottle for your budget? You can find a great bottle at any price range if you know how to determine quality vs. price. Learn more in our primer Selecting the Best Wine for Your Budget.
In general, pricing is a guideline as to the style of wine making in red wines. Less expensive reds are made to enjoy as soon as you uncork. Pour and enjoy! More expensive reds typically need 20 to 40 minutes to decant (breathe) to enjoy to their fullest.