Creamed corn has made the “worst barbeque” in San Antonio famous. Their version combines a basic Bechamel sauce with Parmesan cheese. In side-by-side blind tastings among friends, our version wins every time. Make double the amount to avoid disappointing your crowd.
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Servings:||4 – 6|
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- Dash of ground Pepper, black or white
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon Mild Yellow (Shiro) Miso or Chicken Bouillon Paste
- 16-ounce bag frozen Corn
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, add chopped garlic and saute 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Stir in miso or chicken bouillon paste, flour and pepper. Continue stirring another minute or two to add a little color to flour.
- Add milk all at once. Continue to cook, stirring frequently to avoid scalding the milk, until thickened and bubbly. Add Parmesan or Romano cheese, stir 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add frozen corn. Cook 4-5 minutes more or until corn is thoroughly heated.