Eye-catching colors with bright citrus notes and tropical fruit
Watercress Salad with Jicama & Mango pairs beautifully with chicken or seafood. It’s a fresh blend of Southwestern flavors for dining light and healthy.
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 – 20 minutes|
- 1 bunch Watercress, rinsed and stemmed
- 1 head Red Leaf Lettuce, rinsed
- ½ Jicama, peeled and cut in matchstick slices (about 2 cups)
- 2 large Mangos, peeled and sliced
- (optional) 2 Shallots or 1/2 Red Onion, sliced
- 1 pound choice of: Chicken Breasts, Shrimp and/or Scallops
- Fajita Seasoning (without MSG)
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed Tangerine or Orange Juice
- ¼ cup Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- Salt & Pepper
- Orange slices
- toasted Pecans, Walnuts or Pine Nuts (Our Spiced Nuts mix is a great accent!)
Hint: Watercress may need 4 to 6 hours to crisp in the refrigerator. Rinse the bunch with cold water and store in an airtight container with a little water. Dry gently with paper towels when ready to serve. Likewise, jicama will have a crispier crunch when prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container with water to rehydrate. Want more citrus flavor in your salad? Add the juice of 1/2 an orange to the jicama slices before refrigerating. The jicama will have bright citrusy notes.
- Season choice of protein with fajita seasoning and either pan fry or grill.
- In a blender jar, put all ingredients for dressing and blend on high until smooth.
- Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl. Remove long stems from the watercress, add to the bowl. Toss with about ⅓ of the dressing.
- Assemble the salad with greens mix, then jicama, mango and red onion (if desired), top with protein, then garnish with orange slices and nuts. Serve additional dressing on the side.