That’s not chocolate sauce in this photo, it’s the deep, dark Triple B Balsamic Reduction! This reduction infused with basil is a gourmet topping for chocolate desserts, fruit salads, grilled lamb or wild game.
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
- 1 part Blackberry or Mixed Berry jam, jelly or preserves
- 1 part Balsamic Vinegar
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine equal parts blackberry or mixed berry jam (or jelly or preserves) with balsamic vinegar. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Using a wooden spoon or a silicone-coated whisk, stir continuously to prevent sugar from burning. Continue cooking until sauce reaches a syrupy consistency (about 10-15 minutes). Sauce should coat the back of a spoon. (Ignore complaints from family members about the pungent aroma of vinegar. They will learn to associate this smell with delicious results.)
- Once sauce is reduced, remove pan from heat and place fresh basil leaves on top of sauce. Do not stir. For a basic recipe of 1 cup jam to 1 cup balsamic vinegar, we use about 3 to 4 basil leaves depending on the size. Let leaves remain in sauce for up to 5 minutes. After about 3 minutes, using the same spoon or whisk as before, begin tasting sauce after about 3 minutes to find your desired level of basil infusion. (Caution: Sauce may be hot!) Remove leaves from sauce once it reaches the desired result. Allow sauce to continue cooling.
- Once sauce has cooled enough, pour into glass jar. Store in refrigerator. Makes a great accompaniment to grilled lamb, too!