Light enough for summer temps, but satisfying on a wintry day
A warm bowl of rustic Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese is satisfying no matter what the weather. Chèvre replaces the traditional heavy cream making this soup approachable for those who are lactose intolerant.
|Prep time:||10-15 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes + Blending|
|Servings:||8 – 12|
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO or Butter
- 1 Sweet Onion, peeled and diced
- 5 ounces (1/2 bag) Carrot shreds
- 2 -3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can Cannellini (White) Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz.) can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 (24 ounce) jar Marinara Sauce
- 3 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 tablespoons Shiro (mild yellow) Miso
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Basil Pesto
- 4 ounces Goat Cheese (chevre) + extra for topping
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- Agave Syrup
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
- zest of one Lemon + fresh chopped flat leaf Parsley for topping
- Optional: Add 2 cups cooked and shredded Chicken for a main dish meal
- Heat a deep pot or Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium heat. Add EVOO or butter, onion, carrot shreds and garlic. Saute veggies until tender (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Add ingredients from beans through pesto. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Remove the bay leaf. Using either an immersion (stick) blender or countertop blender, puree the soup. (If using countertop blender, process in batches and cover lid with a towel as soup will expand in container due to heat.) Return soup to pot, add goat cheese, whisk to incorporate, then add fish sauce, agave syrup, salt & pepper to taste. Keep warm over low heat. Add shredded chicken, if desired.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle goat cheese crumbles, lemon zest and diced parsley over top. Serve immediately.
Wine Pairing Guide
Want to know more about how to select the best bottle for your budget? You can find a great bottle at any price range if you know how to determine quality vs. price. Learn more in our primer Selecting the Best Wine for Your Budget.