A side dish or foundation for building a one-bowl meal
The flavors in these Southwest Beans round out any grilling menu. We’ve made slight variations on this recipe from time to time depending on available ingredients and it’s always a hit. Another option, serve beans over cooked rice, then top with brisket, or beef fajitas or chicken fajitas for a complete meal.
|Prep time:||30 minutes|
|Cook time:||50 minutes|
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Poblano Pepper, sliced in 2-inch lengths
- Optional plus: colored Baby Sweet Peppers or Nopalitos, sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can Pinto Beans
- 1 15-ounce can Black Beans
- 1 15-ounce can Garbanzo Beans
- 1 15-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Mild Yellow (Shiro) Miso (1st choice) or Chicken Bouillon Paste (2nd choice)
- 3 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro or Green Onion tops
- Optional: Sour Cream, grated Cheddar cheese or Goat Cheese (Chevre)
- Options: Serve over cooked Rice, top with Beef or Chicken Fajitas
- In a large 6 to 8 quart pot over medium heat, drizzle some EVOO to cover the bottom. Add all the sliced onion and peppers, saute until onions are semi-translucent. Add chopped garlic and saute until fragrant and slightly caramelized.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Add all the canned ingredients, miso or chicken bouillon and all spices. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Thicken sauce using masa or instant cooking flour, if you prefer.
- Top with choice of sour cream, chopped cilantro or green onions, grated Cheddar cheese or crumbled Goat cheese.