Bursting with fresh flavors and bright colors, this easy side dish transforms into a main dish with the addition of chicken, shrimp or salmon. This needs at least one hour of refrigeration to cool the starch and let the flavors blend, Prepare early in the day and have ready for quick a dinner service.
|Cook Time:||20 minutes|
|Prep Time:||90 minutes|
* 1 cup Choice of starch: Ancient Grains mix, Orzo, Rice, Pasta or Israeli Couscous
* 2 cups Chicken Broth
* 1 teaspoon Greek Seasoning w/mint (or make your own spice mix: 1 Tbsp Coriander, 1/2 Tbsp Cumin, 1/2 cup loose fresh Mint, chopped)
* 1/4 cup EVOO
* Juice of 1 Lemon + zest (Seasoned Rice Vinegar is a great alternative)
* Choice of veggies (3 or more): Mini Cucumber, Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, 1/2 Red Onion diced; Baby Spinach or Kale, Black Olives, chopped
* 5 ounces Feta Cheese, crumbled
* optional: toasted Pine Nuts, cooked Shrimp, shredded Chicken or Salmon
- For marinade, in liquid measuring cup or bowl, slowly whisk EVOO into the lemon juice to emulsify, then add lemon zest and Greek Seasoning and stir. Set aside. Cook starch according to package directions using chicken broth or water+bouillon for liquid. Drain, if necessary, and transfer to non-reactive bowl. Add marinade, toss to combine.
- While starch is cooking, chop or dice choice of veggies, except for baby greens (leave whole). Add veggies except for baby greens to starch, marinade mix. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more. When ready to serve, add crumbled Feta cheese and, if desired, toasted pine nuts and/or baby greens.
- Delicious as a main dish with the addition of diced chicken breast, cooked shrimp or salmon. This dish doubles easily for larger crowds.